A dyslexic writer laughing at himself ...

Sunday, March 5, 2017

Whiskey Soaked Words

Dear Aphrodite,

                The pen in my hand shakes from the beers I drank hours ago. I pulled myself off the floor in the empty apartment to write to you for a while. The words made flow out from me like whiskey because in my drunken state it will only allow me to speak the Truth to you. A Truth I hide from at the bottom of this bottle.
                I wrote you this letter hours before I started to drink and when the Sun was still up. I sat at work penning the letter in my mind like I always do when work is slow. I hate my job, but that is no new, news to you. I have moaned about this pain for far too long in our bed. I spoke so much about wishing to be somewhere different and happy that the words fall flat, but how did life get here? How did it end up with me on the floor of my apartment alone and drunk? When did I get this bad?
                I have so many dreams from your brother, Morpheus, to tell you about but the main one being about the house I wish to have. He has blessed me with a great vision of a life to come. A house in the mountain with a study full of books and me sitting there writing stories. The home is small but big enough for my wife and I. My wife walks the house in my dreams, and our grandchildren come to spend the summer in the woods with us, but it is a dream and just a dream. A cruel dream, maybe? I don't know anymore because that dream feels so far off.
                It sits at the top of a mountain I can’t climb. Every step forward is only meet with the mountain tossing some stones down at me as if there is giant sitting at the top throwing things at me and laughing. It knocks me back to the point where I’m not sure I can stand anymore. I drop to my knees creaking them and praying to the Lord to help me. He reaches down lifting my heart and telling me, giving up is not in the cards. I do not get that luxury, not like other people.
                But you have heard all of this before and is not the point of my letter. Then again I don’t know if there is a point to all my words. The words are soaked in alcohol, so there is no telling what I’m trying to say.
             I miss you.
Although, you are not real and just an archetype I have built in my mind of love and lust mixed with a few real people in my life. It is, however, still nice to talk to you. I can't see you in the house within my mind, and that is why I write this letter to you. You have left my bed and I long to have you back. I long to feel something outside of this spinning world right now.
            In the house, if you came back, you would find me sitting in front of the hallway drinking. Your brother Hades walks among the books in the hallways. His sons Thanatos showed up to my door with a letter bearing bad news, followed by him.
I went to the funeral, paid my coin to the dead, and came home to find an empty bed. Even if you were here, I would still feel alone. When facing Death or the Poet, I always feel alone. Does everyone feel this way when looking at the gravestones? Do they understand what it means to die?
We bear this burden alone. We are all going to die and no matter who is around us, we do it alone. It is our bodies that face your brother. It is our souls, alone, who walk to the gates of the Kingdom of Wealth and meets the master of that place. It just so happens he came to read my writings. I could not, dear, send me away. So, I welcome him in, wouldn't you have done the same?
              And yet in this loneliness, facing Hades, I feel a great sense of purpose. Your brother has sent his son Thanatos one too many times after me, and the one true God has saved from him. The Lord has given me life more than once, and there is a reason behind it. A reason, I can’t lie, is lost to me right now but I feel it in my bones.
              The reason or better yet, the purpose for my life is unique to me just as much as it is specific to your life. We each have our quest to taken for the Lord. But there is something I have come to understand in my reading, and it is; Everything we do matters. This is not unique to me or anyone else. This is the underlining purpose to life.
                What a heavy burden that concept is to carry. Everything we do matters. It paints the day in incredible ways, and it almost makes getting up hard because it is so easy to waste the day away. It is so easy to fail. But I find it the most important thing is I have come to understand the concept. Yes, I waste days away some time, and sometimes I make them count. I always try to make them count.
                This revelation of the soul explains so much about the way I feel. I always felt anxious to start my life or to do something great with it. I sit among friends feeling like I’m being crushed by a great quest I haven't started yet. I long to be away from the world so that I can start my task. I long for you or love or a wife so I can have someone with me on this quest. I long to make a different in my life, in someone's else life. 
                This undying feeling paints every action I take. It’s why I hate my job. It’s why I hate feeling stuck at school or in my existence. It’s why I hate being lost in the throes of loneliness because I feel as if I’m missing some great companion to my adventure. It’s why I can’t stop climbing the mountain.
                The greatest action or words I can speak is to never give up because what we do matters. What I say, what I think, what I write and most of all getting up in the morning, matters. It all matters.
                What odd thing to come to when Hades sits down across from you on the floor? You pass him a beer, he nods, you both have cheered, and you tap the cans together for the dead. He drinks with you for a while. You reminisce about the new soul who sits in his kingdom now. He cries a little. You laugh a little, and then he leaves. Somehow you feel even more alone. And there not much else for you to do other than keep saying …
                Everything I do matters.
                Everything. I. Do. Matters.

Your Lover,
 A Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment