A dyslexic writer laughing at himself ...

Thursday, September 12, 2019

Freaking Out Daily, the Start of the Kickstarter


Dear Reader,

                Let me give you my elevator pitch for one of my books. “A boy finds out the apartment complex called Valhalla is the true and real Heaven of Warriors and he befriends one of the Valkyries guarding the souls inside of the complex from a blood thrust monster in the woods.”
                Good?
                Maybe?
                I guess it could use a little bit of work, but the pitch is not bad, huh? I guess, the better question is would you read the book about that pitch? I hope so.
                The name of the novel is ‘The Coin of Valhalla’ the first story I finish where I believe I had something good in the pages. I was proud of the story, but I set it aside for a long time. I stuck under the pile of other finished – but not so good – manuscripts with no real plans to do anything with it.
                And like a song stuck in your head, the characters of the story started to hum their way back into my life. I would be on a walk thinking about some of the warriors who called Valhalla home. You see – and as you may know – Valhalla is the heaven where Vikings warriors would go when they died in combat. A Valkyrie – a warrior lady with wings – would come down from the skies and take the soul back to the hall to spend with their ancestors.
                But what if –
                And this is how the story got started –
                Valhalla had warriors from all the ages, not just Vikings? There would be medieval knights, soldiers from WWII, along with any other place where there had been fighting, and if they died honorably, then a Valkyrie would come to gather their soul.
                Of course, we have to something in the way of a villain, and the idea came to me –
                Why not have a demon who feeds off the warrior’s blood lust? And thus, I wrote the story about all these ideas and many more. They keep coming back to me no matter how far I moved away from the novel.
                I went back to it, had a few friends read it, and now, I’m here starting a Kickstarter soon to get the book published. The easy part is over – writing the bloody thing – now the real work starts. I spend the last few weeks digging into how to get a Kickstarter up and running. I’ve watched, listen, and read everything I can get my hands on to make a Kickstarter successful. I got some of the easier parts of the project out of the way:
                Project Description: Done.
                Artists for the covers: Talked with and prices worked out.
                Editor: Ready and waiting.
                Speaking of the editor and the artists, they are the main point behind the Kickstarter. Sure, I can upload my novel straight to Kindle as it is, but I want to give you a professional book with art better than the story itself. The artists I will be working with are beyond great, and I can’t wait for everyone to see the work they will do. (But that is a little down the road.)
                It is going to be unreal to see my characters, my book to have a cover made by talent people, and edited by a true professional.
                These people are going to do a great job when the Kickstarter is successful. I guess I should talk about the project instead of talking up my friends.
                I wasn’t sure I ever wanted to self-published. In fact, I’m still a little on edge about it, but I can’t come up with a good reason not to try it. The worst case is it all fails, and I have to go back to the drawing board for my next move with my writing. I made still have to move into finding a publishing house the traditional way. The project might show me I have to go down the traditional route which means I will lose a bit of power over my work. Right now, I don’t have to lose any power over my work, and I can choose how I want things to move forward with my writing. Self-publishing gives me a lot of control over my work, something I like a lot.
                The stressful side of this whole endeavor – outside of the crippling self-doubt – is seeing my weak points on the business side of things. I have no idea how much money to ask for as a goal. I have jumped around a few large numbers, but still, haven’t truly landed on the right one. I have worked on several detail budgets and rewards for people who pledge their money. Still, not sure what will work because I have no idea what I’m doing.
                I want to make that clear – I have no idea what I am doing with this project.
                All I know is I want to get my book to you … that is it. It is the sole goal of the Kickstarter. Sure, I want to give you some great art along the way. Yes, I want you to be with me on this journey.
                Side note here for a moment; I’m going to try very hard to be open about this journey with the Kickstarter. I want you to see the ups and downs along the way. Not so I don’t feel alone in doing this, but so we can grow together. I think the best part of any art is when the artist and the viewer have a relationship with one another. I hope we can have a deep relationship as I try to bring you a story I love and think it’s worth sharing with the world. I will try to be open with all of you about everything going on with this adventure.
                Yes, I want you to read my story, fall in love with the characters, and much more. But I have no idea if any of this is going to work. I do know one thing those, I’m planning on failure. I have back plans if it does fail, but I have plan for failures so much in my life, I forget to plan for success as well. I am at this moment focusing on the success of the project.
                I did have a date for you as to when the project will be launch, but I have to push it back a week or two due to some plans being changed. I didn’t want to, but I think it is needed to get everything perfect. I still need time to work on the budget for the project. I have all the rewards mapped out, but the amount I need for them seems very high to me.
                Then again, tow hundreds seem like an insane amount of money to me right now.
                I hope you are as excited about this project as I am and stay tuned in for more news about it.

Godspeed,
Chase 

No comments:

Post a Comment