A dyslexic writer laughing at himself ...

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

A Letter on Anxiety




Dear Mr. Doubt,


“Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”
-          Matthew 6:34 (NKJ)

There is oddness about today, my friend, as I write you this letter, one in which I cannot put my finger on but lingers over me like a spider web on a full moon. I can see the shimmer of the web. I’m not sure if this odd feeling has any great degree on my state of mind, but it is there.
                My mind or the quality of my thoughts this last week has been up and down due to the lack of sleep and me starting a new job. The pay is better, and I’m slowly starting to rise from my poor lot in life. It is a physical job, a lot of mindless lifting heavy things in the back of a warehouse, but it is a good job.
                I have always said in my letters to you that I believe every thinking man should work with their hands. There is a blessing in the tore of the day. A need in the work of life that is good for the soul. I often dream about being a teacher, writing for a living, and having a small farm to take care of at the same time. I do not want to lose the physical side of work. It is needed for all people, and it is good for the mind. A healthy body is a healthy mind, after all.
                I thankful for the job, for it is where the Lord wishes me to be. I grateful for the work, for it will force me to take better care of myself.
                And yet, there is a soreness I must overcome from this new job. One I haven’t had in a while, but my body soon will be okay with the activities of work.
                I must share some good news while I’m writing to you. I am heading back to school in the Fall or, at the least, in the winter. Which then, I plan on looking into a school where I could get my master to allow me to teach.
                Sometimes, I’m unsure if the Lord has called me to be a teacher, and then He places me somewhere in my day where I can teach someone something new. The other day I showed a friend some drawing techniques. I walked away with great joy in my heart.
                At church, I was speaking to some people on the subject in which I have been reading about, how hope is built on faith, and the way they were listening to me, put more joy in my heart. I couldn’t tell you if I was right on the idea we were speaking about, but in truth, that doesn’t matter to me, all that matter is people were thinking as they walked away from me. I do not mind being wrong. I hope I am; then I have something to learn.
                Great things are building in my day, but as I laid down in bed during this week, the anxiety of tomorrow plunged me into a pit close to despair. I couldn’t sleep close to the edge of this pit and would wake with my days painted in the gloom. I tried my best to mask the dullness of emotional night by not paying attention to the anxiety.
                It failed.
                The beast, which is my anxiety, only grew with every passing day. I couldn’t escape, and the only remedy I could find was to do as Poe did in the Raven, read.
                Here I am with all these blessings falling into my lap, and my days are seen as bad to me. The work is good, honesty, rightful, but it is not where I want to be. I keep seeing myself wasting my days in this lot in life when the Lord has given me gifts. It is a sin not to use the gifts the Lord has given you. I wondered if not the greatest sin of them all. It weighs on me that I am failing the Lord. Everyone else been damned, I do not care what others think of my failures, because I do not have to answer to them, but the Lord –
                Ah, I only hope I can say I did my best.
                On the way home the other night, the terror of tomorrow had me thinking about how to handle this anxiety. I recall one time when I was meeting a friend for lunch. I step out of the car with a smile on my face, and he asked me how I was doing?
                Bad, I said. I’m having an awful day.
                Then why are you smiling?
                Because I have something to overcome now.
                It is the only way I know how to handle bad days.
                But I can’t overcome my bad days alone, and let me explain because I hope this helps you with your anxiety. We have spoken on the matter here and there in our letters. I know it plagues you deeply to the point of almost making you not get out of bed in the morning. I have been thinking about a way to help you overcome this hardship. In since you are a believer, a person of faith, then I will speak to on those terms, something we both share.
                A hard day or a mere lousy day gives you something to stand up against, I have learned. It allows me to grow in my faith because on those hard days; I can turn to the Lord to help me get through them.  I put my trust in the Lord. Not to make the day better but to let me know I am not alone in the struggle of it. That the Lord is there with me to help me carry my cross when I need it, not to carry it for me.
                We too often want the Lord to use His great power for our will and wishes, and not to trust in Him that He has the best in mind for us. That sometimes, the ‘no’ or the agony is better for us because we have to grow closer to Him. The mere bad day gives me the chance to say, “Lord, I know You are with me, and with You, all can be done. Even overcoming a bad day.”
                That is the blessing of an ordinary bad day.
                Then what about the horrific anxiety of the future and all the terror it being with it?
                I believe – and I have given this some thought as of late – there are two ways to look at this quagmire. I hope this helps you, for they have helped me.
                The first is to see the anxiety as a good thing because it means you have a goal in which you are reaching for in the future. You still have dreams and passions for your life, and the fear of failing in those dreams is what is causing the anxiety, but you have them, and you are making moves to carry them out. Yes, you made failed; that is a possibility in life, but not trying to is worse than any failure.
                Having the anxiety is far better than seeing tomorrow or the next ten years as just another day or another year. A shrug about it all and nothing more: you have given up, no point in trying because you have already failed, but the anxiety, hopefully, we will keep you moving.
                Yes, the terrors of tomorrow can be real. Indeed, the anxiety is genuinely a foe within your soul, and I’m not saying you shouldn’t battle it. It is an emotion, and all emotions must be felt to be overcome. But it is an emotion which you can use to feed you, or you drown in the despiser with it.
                Anxiety means you are alive, and you have goals, something we must see it as. A bad day is a blessing just as much as the good days.
                The second way I’ve found to handle a bad day is to remember the Lord is with you, as it says Zephaniah 3:17 NIV;

“The LORD your GOD is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in His love, He will no longer rebuke you but will rejoice over you with singing.”

Or –

                As a friend once said to me,” God suffers with you.” This has to be true, for do you not feel agony when you see a loved one in pain? Do you not weep with the heartbreak of those who you love? If God – and He is - our Father and loves us as His children, then does He not weep at our foolish suffering? But He is with us in our hard days – in the dark of our minds. He is there.
                So, what does this mean for a bad day or the great monster of the future?
                It means you are not alone in it. For what truly is a bad day in your life but a storm within your mind? The monster we so fear about things yet to come is nothing more than the Shadows of our minds toying with us. Is this normal, mere, suffering of our lives not afflicted on to ourselves by ourselves?
                Yes, I would agree, there are days worse than others where you can’t control the outside events. A car wreck is out of your hands. A girlfriend breaks up is not in your will. The death of a loved one is a roll of fate. But those days, we know we must turn to God for help. We turn to Him in those worse days all the time, but why don’t we do so in our mere bad days?
                Are they too small for Him?
                Are those mundane bad days our punishment we cast on ourselves for some greater sin? Or – are they simply meant because everyone has bad days. It is a part of life after all, right?
                But God calls us to gather Joy from Him. He is our Joy, expect, what? On a mere lousy day? Where our minds are our greatest foe? On those days, we don’t call to the Lord, but why?
                It on those days that we should call to Him. The mere bad days, rather a fact of life or making of our own, it is the place we should turn to the Lord. Not to make the day better but to be there with us, which He has said, “The LORD your GOD is with you.”
God is with you, my dear friend. He is there in your suffering; do not turn your back on Him. For He is the harbor in the storm, the flower on the grave, the Joy after the hellish night of being in the fray with the devils. He is there with you.
A bad day is a great day to turn to the Lord.
I hope this helps, my friend.
With a handshake,
Chase


Note Fifteen
Draft 2
By: Chase L. Currie

I met Him
                On the pier,
                With a pair of,
                Holes in my,
                Heart.

I put my feet
                In the Summer water,
                Of a childhood fancy,
                Where I can,
                Only find smiles,
                Filled with Joy.

He gave me a
                Fishing pole,
                Under his yellow,
                Straw hat,
                We sat for,
                A while in,
                A quiet wind.

I met Him
                In a gallery,
                Of lost souls,
                Those who turned,
                Their backs,
                On His love,
                He did not weep,
                In front of me,
                But He did weep for them.

I met Him at a
                Coffee shop, alone and lost,
                After hours of pushing
                Thorns into my bones,
                I weep in front of Him,
                The hurt won,
                The tears real,
                I cried to Him.

And He reached out,
                Taking my hand,
                Asking me to tell Him,
                A tale,

I met Him -

No comments:

Post a Comment