A dyslexic writer laughing at himself ...

Thursday, October 31, 2019

A Rainy Day and an Update on Life




(A perfect day for writing for me and this is what it looks like outside of my window at work.)

Ugh, I have been sick for the last few days.
The weather here – here being North Caroline for those not in the know – have been jumping from winter to summer overnight. We had gone from the lows being in the 40s to a few days of the lows being in the 70s, and the upcoming days the lows will sit somewhere around the 30s within a week. In other word, my body is not happy with the weather, and I’m not happy about me being bloody sick all the time.
                My state of heath has put a nice kick to the teeth for my plans as of late. I had planned on finishing the Kickstarter video this week, but many things had gone wrong.
                Let me explained, the B-Roll for the video – the stuff of me writing or walking around – was not enough for us to make the whole video, and what little we have got corrupted, which shouldn’t have been a problem, right? Wrong because my sister, who did all the filming for me lives in Texas, where I do not live.
                So, I asked around here to see if anyone could do the B-Roll for me … all the plans fail apart.
                All right, I told myself, I’ll just make a video with no B-Roll. It will be my lovely head talking to you about my book. It is not what I wanted, but you adapt and overcome. I filmed the talking-head video only to find out the audio was awful. I had the mice facing the wrong way, and the lighting was bad for the shot.
Luckily, Chad (my brother) stepped in to help me and fix a few things for me. He also got some equipment we needed for the video. Which might I add something cool here for second –
                He is working on building a Youtube channel called High Mind Fools, which will be coming out in January. I’m helping with the writing and will be shamelessly blasting out the moment is drops.  
                But I still had time to work out my talking head video and make it better. My brother and I were planning on shooting the video this weekend … I got sick, it didn’t happen.
                I can still do the video, the talking head one, or I can push the project back to the beginning of the year. If I push the project back than Chad and I can go shoot some B-Roll, take our time filming the talking head part and come up with a better video for the project –
                Or –
                I can get something out now, post it, and hope for the best.
                I’m voting – which is the only vote that matters – to pushing the project back to the beginning of the year. I don’t want to rush to get something subpar out to you guys because I’m feeling the pressure of life. I really want to give you the best thing I can right now. The best video, the best writing, and everything else to you, which means I need to slow down and take my time.
                Is it a setback? Oh, yeah, a big one, but I have come to learn a thing about setbacks. You can look at them in two ways. The first – this is the end of the world - is a lot of crying, and everything is doomed. The second – you can see the setbacks as more time to work on the project.
                I normally go with the first one for about a day and then fall to the second after I’m done feeling sorry for myself. (What? I’m not perfect.)
                Plus, with the holidays coming up (the best time of the year), I know a lot of people are spending their money on the family. I will be spending a lot of time with my family which will take away some of my energy from my projects. I don’t mind. I’m a big family man anyways.
                That is where I am at guys. I’m still going to move forward with the Kickstarter, but I’m taking my time with it. I’m going to be posting a few blogs of some of the behind the scenes of us working on the video, and me working on other projects. One of the biggest things I have to overcome is my utter hate for being in front of the camera. I am a writer, we are meant to hide away in dark rooms writing, not being in front of people, but I’m working on it.
                I also have some other projects coming out soon, but those I’m not ready to announce just yet but stay tuned to find out.

(This was the test opening to the Kickstarter video: (We might have been going for a 90s sitcom opening.)




No comments:

Post a Comment